Did you know there are also several facial exercises you can practice to help skin fight gravity? Maintaining firm cheeks through facial exercises can help prevent the nasolabial fold that tends to appear on aging complexions between the nose and cheeks.
Practicing facial exercises is a great way to prevent skin from sagging, but some may be weary of tugging, pouting and smiling for fear that these moves may in fact promote frown lines and wrinkles. After all, how many times have you been told as a child that your face will get stuck a certain way if it’s held in the same position? However, practicing facial exercises every other day is great resistance training for facial muscles and can actually help keep facial skin stay tight—just be prepared to make a few funny faces!
The best aspect of facial exercising is that it can be completed at work, in the car or whenever you have some down time. While we can’t completely battle the signs of aging and gravity, we can certainly help keep cheeks plump, firm and youthful with some of the exercises listed below.
1. Place palms on the sides of your cheeks just in front of your ears and pull down. While holding your checks downward, smile as hard as you can and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat this exercise 10 times to help raise the zygomaticus muscle (muscle extending from the corners of the mouth to the ear).
2. Draw your lips in so they wrap around your teeth and attempt to smile as widely as possible for 10 seconds to help tighten the check muscles.
3. Push lips out to make an “O” shape and lift cheeks. Alternate lifting cheeks and bringing them back down while keeping your lips in the same shape.
4. Close lips and puff your mouth with air. Move the air back and forth alternating filling each cheek. Continue this exercise for about a minute and repeat 10 times to keep cheeks tight and youthful.
5. Close lips and suck in both cheeks. Then alternate sucking in one at a time. Consider this one repetition and repeat exercise.