With the New Year in full swing, let’s review skincare basics to keep your skin luminous and youthful. Maintaining healthy habits is incredibly important in order to keep your complexion smooth and elastic, and these habits should be adopted both inside and outside your body for optimal results.
1. Adopt a nighttime routine– Before going to bed, make sure to cleanse and moisturize your skin. One of the biggest skincare mishaps is leaving makeup on while you sleep. Don’t let your fatigue convince you to skip the couple minutes it takes to wash your face with a gentle cleanser and moisturize to keep your complexion healthy and youthful.
2. Hydrate– One of the simplest ways to maintain healthy skin is to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Keep reusable water bottle by your side at the office and while you’re out and about. Women should drink about 2.2 liters of water a day, and more if you lose more water through excessive sweating.
3. Eat Antioxidants– Healthy skin can be achieved from the inside out. Load up on antioxidants by including natural food sources like berries and beans. Check out this link for a list of antioxidant rich foods: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/20-common-foods-most-antioxidants
4. Exfoliate– exfoliating can help improve blood circulation and can also help shed dead skin cells so your skin will look more vibrant and feel soft to the touch. Purchase a loofah or gentle sugar scrub for your shower and exfoliate skin in gentle circular motions.
5. Get Enough Sleep– One of the most common reasons skin looks dull is the result of too much stress and too little sleep. Give your body time to relax every night so you can recharge. You can also avoid fine lines by purchasing a silk pillow case that feels gentle against your complexion.
6. Exercise– Keep skin tight and firm with activity every day. If you have trouble fitting in a solid wok out on a daily basis, take downtime you have and try to incorporate some floor exercises. Complete sets of sit ups and leg lifts during commercials, fit in some pushups before bed and opt to take the stairs at work instead of the elevator.
7. SPF– In the sun, in the fog, in the snow… put in on whenever you go outside!